Haven't heard of this technique, but apparently it uses two "frequencies" of Gaussian blur to smooth a surface.  Also uses a high pass filter to resharpen.  I'll follow up on this when time, as any technique to help smooth a surface (not only skin) without giving that surface a tacky pasty look would be worth investigating.