Yes, the numbers make it difficult I think. But if you see flocks of flamingos or starlings, those can be in the tens of thousands, it has a specific pattern, even though these birds are completely different in size and shape. a comparison can also be made with flocks of locusts I think. Same patterns visible there also.

Mieke

Mieke Roth
Science illustrator
http://miekeroth.com