The Carolina parakeet's habitat is reported as being the cane understory
("canebrake") that was common in the southern states before it was
"settled" by Europeans.  The can still grows is small clumps in the south,
and I'm wondering if anyone knows why it mostly disappeared.  Wild hogs?
It was certainly cleared for farming, of course, but there were many areas
that were never cleared and others that have returned to native habitat.