Garlic juice I know. Vodka?
The Other Karen

On Apr 7, 2015, at 5:25 PM, mali moir <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Karen,
I figure you are talking art wise ... Yes I did the simple one of applying gum Arabic to the finished watercolour sections of the plant, most people would know this one, it makes that part shiny and deepens the colour, like water on a stone. I think some used glair instead of gum ...
On an antique print I saw silver which was applied using an arsenic (?) method ... But I didn't try that one :/
I've used gold leaf on vellum using garlic juice... Always thought a great title for a book on traditional techniques would be 'Vodka Eggs and Garlic Juice' one day ....

I absolutely love playing the alchemist in my kitchen with traditional paint techniques.
Your talk sounds fascinating and I too would love to hear or read some of it.
... Mali

Mali Moir
Botanical, Scientific and Natural History Artist
M. 0422 575 034    E. [log in to unmask]
Sent from the void

On 8 Apr 2015, at 2:24 am, "Jane" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Nothing to add, Karen, but hoping that you might consider sharing all, or parts, of your lecture with us when it is finished.  Best of luck on Thursday.
Jane

From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Karen Reeds
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 10:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: [SCIART] Lecture and exhibition, Karen Reeds, "Old Herbals, New Readers" Rutgers, New Brunswick NJ, Thursday April 9

Forgive this bit of self-publicity.

I'm still writing the lecture -- if you as an illustrator have ever applied something you've noticed from looking at herbals (any period)  to your own work,  I'd like very much to hear about it.

Many thanks for all I learn from lurking on this list,

Karen    4/7/2015
Karen Reeds

"Old Herbals, New Readers"
Karen Reeds, PhD, FLS
29th Annual Louis Faugères Bishop III Lecture
Scholarly Communication Center Teleconference Lecture Hall, Fourth Floor
Alexander Library, Rutgers-College Avenue Campus
New Brunswick NJ
Thursday, April 9, 2015, 4 pm

Dr. Karen Reeds, F.L.S. a Harvard-trained historian of science and medicine, delivers the 29th annual Bishop Lecture on April 9 at 4 p.m. at the Alexander Library at Rutgers University–New Brunswick. She draws upon examples of early herbals in the Rutgers University Libraries' rare book collections to examine the continuing appeal of these medical books across the centuries. This event coincides with the opening of a major exhibition, The Art of Healing: Early Herbals from the Rutgers University Libraries . For more information or to RSVP, please see
http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/news/old-herbals-new-readers-29th-annual-bishop-lecture-april-9-2015