Karen,

If you need a joke to lighten things up at the start:

Once I asked an undergrad class why some of the first printed examples of scientific illustration were of plants, expecting the answer that plant identification was important for medicinal reasons, but the answer I got from the first raised hand was “Bcause plants don’t move and so they are easier to draw.” I never get tired of that one…

D.

> On Apr 7, 2015, at 10:03 AM, Karen Reeds <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Forgive this bit of self-publicity.
>
> I'm still writing the lecture -- if you as an illustrator have ever applied something you've noticed from looking at herbals (any period)  to your own work,  I'd like very much to hear about it.
>
> Many thanks for all I learn from lurking on this list,
>
> Karen    4/7/2015
> Karen Reeds
>
> "Old Herbals, New Readers"
> Karen Reeds, PhD, FLS
> 29th Annual Louis Faugères Bishop III Lecture
> Scholarly Communication Center Teleconference Lecture Hall, Fourth Floor
> Alexander Library, Rutgers-College Avenue Campus
> New Brunswick NJ
> Thursday, April 9, 2015, 4 pm
>
> Dr. Karen Reeds, F.L.S. a Harvard-trained historian of science and medicine, delivers the 29th annual Bishop Lecture on April 9 at 4 p.m. at the Alexander Library at Rutgers University–New Brunswick. She draws upon examples of early herbals in the Rutgers University Libraries' rare book collections to examine the continuing appeal of these medical books across the centuries. This event coincides with the opening of a major exhibition, The Art of Healing: Early Herbals from the Rutgers University Libraries . For more information or to RSVP, please see
> http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/news/old-herbals-new-readers-29th-annual-bishop-lecture-april-9-2015 <http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/news/old-herbals-new-readers-29th-annual-bishop-lecture-april-9-2015>

Dave Mazierski, CMI
Associate Professor, Biomedical Communications
Department of Biology
University of Toronto at Mississauga
HSC Building, Room 326
3359 Mississauga Road