Thanks for sharing your article Barrett. Your finding that SOIs are not replacing illustrations in any great number is interesting. Tinbergen was certainly right that much less descriptive work is done but I think there are deeper reasons for that than just 'it's already been done'. So many of today's ecological researchers are fearful of doing any descriptive because of the perception that it is soft, or popular. In our tenure driven world that's a big problem. I wonder if researchers in areas of science that operate on the micro or macro level are more likely to use images now days since technology has opened the door to all kinds of "new and exciting" imagery. Hope that makes sense - just getting over the flu and still a little dopey!

Lore