Hello all,

What is your favorite scratchboard for teaching?

I've used EssDee and Canson for my own work, and Clayboard and Scratch-Art for students to practice with.

Scratch-Art was great because it needed no prep, was lightweight, inexpensive, and shipped anywhere. Very good for trying out the medium for the first times. However, when I received classwork from a distance student, I saw why she was having so much trouble; the board is so thinly coated with clay, there is nothing to scratch. I've tried to contact the company to see if it is a bad lot, or if someone else is making it poorly now. Neither their local nor toll free phone lines connect. They don't repond to written inquiries either. I believe the board was purchased through Amazon. This is the white scratchboard. So, I am now searching for good (yields crisp lines), lightweight, easily purchased on-line, inexpensive, white, scratchboard.

Thanks!  (PS I have a whole box of large sheets of Canson scratchboard I am not thrilled with either.)

Best, Gretchen
Gretchen Halpert
Illustrator/educator