I use Ampersand - both black and white - for teaching. Consistent surface, and the coating is thick enough to allow for corrections. It's affordable. I'm not crazy about the thickness of the masonite, but the masonite backing does protect the work. When I used to use ESSDEE (I'd buy large sheets and cut into smaller pieces), students were not careful and the surface would crack or corners would be damaged. Or it would warp and wouldn't lay flat.

I don't use it for my own work - there is something about the surface and the dust from from the Ampersand boards that makes my hands itch like crazy. I've never had a student have this problem - just me. I have a stash of old ESSDEE that I use.