Hi all, Here's info from Christine Bold about submitting articles for the WLA's Don D. Walker Prize. As noted, these are submitted by the journal editors, but there's no reason you can't remind your journal editor about it if you published something you think merits consideration. I've got WAL covered. -Tom

--------

On behalf of the Don D. Walker Prize Committee and the Western Literature Association, I am writing to ask for nominations for this year's prize. Established in 1978, the Don D. Walker Prize is awarded each year for the previous year's best scholarly essay published in western American literary studies. "Western" in this context is defined broadly and refers to all of North America that historically or critically has been considered "West," as well as to comparative literary studies of the American West that cross regional or national boundaries. The award recipient will receive a framed certificate and a $100 honorarium.

As Chair of the Prize committee, I would be happy to receive nominations from your journal or press of up to three articles or essays published during the calendar year 2014, BY 15 MAY 2015.

Please submit the essay or article you wish to nominate (preferably by electronic attachment) to [log in to unmask].

In the event of print submission, please send 5 copies to

Christine Bold
Chair, Walker Prize Committee
School of English & Theatre Studies
University of Guelph
50 Stone Road East
Guelph, ON
N1G 2W1
Canada

Nominated essays will be screened by the committee, which will select the recipient of this year's award. Announcement of the prize recipient will be made at the annual meeting of the WLA, this year on October 14-17 in Reno, Nevada. Please don't hesitate to email me if you have questions or would like further information about the Prize.

The 2014 Don D. Walker Prize winner was Jayson Gonzales Sae-Saue, “Aztlán’s Asians: Forging and Forgetting Cross-Racial Relations in the Chicana/o Literary Imagination,” American Literature 85.3 (September 2013): 563-89.

Honorable mentions went to Sarah Hirsch, “Inhabiting the Icon: Shipping Containers and the New Imagination of Western Space,” Western American Literature 48.1&2 (Spring & Summer 2013): 17-40 and to Curtis Marez, “Cesar Chavez’s Video Collection,” American Literature 85. 4 (December 2013): online.

Best wishes,
Christine Bold
____________

Christine Bold
Professor
School of English & Theatre Studies
University of Guelph
50 Stone Road East
Guelph, ON N1G 2W1
Canada
http://www.uoguelph.ca/sets/sets-christine-bold
Tel. 519-824 4120 519-824 4120 x53269
Fax: 519-766-0844
Email: [log in to unmask]

---
Tom Lynch
Professor
Chair, Undergraduate Studies
Editor, Western American Literature
Department of English
202 Andrews Hall
P.O. Box 880333
University of Nebraska, Lincoln
Lincoln, NE  68588-0333
Our lives are frittered away by e-mail  - H. D. Thoreau

New Books: