Hi Frank et al.

Interesting!

Here is some correspondence between me and people at Taylor and Francis
last year regarding the same issue:

Dear Charles,

Thank you for the clarification.  Declaring the early-view version the
publication of record does solve the problem of nomina nuda and precludes
the possibility of people scooping authors by publishiing in some rapid
turnaround online journal between the time of release of the early view
article and the paper version.  That makes sense.  However, I note that
not every article in Systematics and Biodiversity indicates the "first
publication online" date ­ for example, in the most recent issue 12(1),
neither the article by Streicher et al. on frogs (which designates
lectotypes) nor the article by Heinicke et al. on geckos (which describes
new genera)  indicates the first publication date (these were the
reference papers I was looking at when I made my observations about the
journal in the previous email).  These are undoubtedly just oversights ­
other papers in this issue do state the date of online publication.

At any rate, as long as the date of first (online) publication is
consistently indicated in the printed version, then there is no
nomenclatural problem.  As to the embarrassingly extensive corrigenda to
our paper, really we have no one to blame but ourselves for failing to
proofread more carefully.

Thanks for your prompt reply,

Andy Brower

Professor Andrew V. Z. Brower