A few years ago I wanted to scan about 500 of my parents' old 2x2" slides from the 1950s and 60s. I looked into buying my own scanner and found them too pricey. As Britt said, most of the reviews stressed the difficulty of getting good scans.

So I decided to investigate some of the slide scanning services. After reading lots of consumer comments and professional reviews (CNet, Macworld, etc.) I decided to try ScanCafe.com. I took advantage of one of their "value kits" where they scan up to 500 slides, negatives and/prints for about $125 (it's now closer to $150). That's about 25 cents per scan.

They mail you a box, packing materials, and a prepaid shipping label. You package everything up and send it to them via UPS. They then bundle your order with many others and ship them to India to do the scanning (that's why it's so cheap). The package is then shipped back to the U.S. and mailed back to you along with a CD of all the scans. The process takes a long time - a couple months as I recall. But they do offer a rush service that takes 10-14 days. Not sure how much that adds to the cost. I was in no hurry, so I went with the basic service.

They scan each slide individually, rather than just shoving a whole stack into an automated scanner. They take the time to blow off any dust and then color correct each scan individually. I was very pleased with the size and clarity of the scans. I can't really assess the color because the slides themselves were pretty old and faded, but the scans seemed pretty true to the originals.

I was a little worried about having my family photos shipped all the way to India, but the company stresses all of the security and fail safe measures they use to protect and keep track of your order. All of the reviews I read were very positive and nobody seemed to have any trouble with lost materials, so I felt pretty confident about the process.

Jim

Sent from my iPad