OC,

I think if you simplified the first sentence the rest would flow better.  Suggestion:  Note that I eliminated some words (such as "In addition" ) and added others (as in "see the world in an expanded color spectrum."  [Monarchs may see ultraviolet but they also see some visible light.]  I also pluralized flowers in the last sentence.

"The physics of color mixing can be seen in the visible color spectrum.  This physics application plays an important role for the monarch's sight since they view the world in an expanded color spectrum that includes ultraviolet, a color invisible to the human eye.  This valuable asset helps the monarch find flowers with nectar and helps to detect the patterns on flowers."

I don't believe Monarch should be capitalized, unless as North American Monarch Butterfly, or some such.  This is probably up in the air, but common names of animals are not usually capitalized.  Only birders do that because they think birds are so special :).  It's probably a matter of preference but you should check with your editor.  Chicago Manual of Style states "common names of plants and animals are capitalized in a bewildering variety of ways..........and authors should let their editors know (if they are using an "official" list (of some sort or other.)  Parentheses mine, to shorten the paragraph.  "In the absence of such a list the UCPress prefers a down style......capitalizing only proper nouns and adjectives (as in New England aster, Cooper's hawk.)

Hope this helps,
BAB