Dear Sci-art Listers,

We received an contract question from a member on the GNSI forum. It is a contract negotiation in the indemnification language in the contract.

Suggestions would be appreciated from anyone who has had to deal with writing contract language.

MY QUESTION: Does anyone have experience dealing with institutions that demanded indemnification, and if so, how did you handle it?

CONTEXT: I'm in the middle of negotiating two illustration contracts with a university. These are contracts that represent the potential for a lot more work with the clients (two separate departments) at this university.

However, the university's legal department insists upon inclusion of the following indemnification clause: "Indemnification. Contractor agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the University and its public employees from any and all claims arising from the services performed under this Agreement or related to this Agreement."

I have proposed adding the following:

"(a) IN NO EVENT SHALL EITHER PARTY HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO ....

More here:
http://www.gnsi.org/forum/business/dealing-client-institution-requirement-indemnification-clause-contract

Britt