Thank you, Lois. I will check into this.
Your maps look very interesting with all the colors! captivating.

Very best,
Linda
_____________________
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325
Hereford, AZ 85615
(520) 803-0538

On May 28, 2015, at 10:45 AM, Lois Mitchell wrote:

Here are some ideas that I've looked into for 3D topo maps.

You can export elevation data for a selected area of the country from this site:
      http://nationalmap.gov/viewer.html

You can import that data into this program:
I think you can get a light version for free, perhaps? I went ahead and bought a license. With this program, you can adjust the colors and all sorts of things, as well as view it in 3D. You can export it to a 3D or 2D file. Then you could get another 3D software from somewhere if you wanted to print it to a 3D printer or edit it further for 3D purposes.

I've created 2D and 3D contour maps with those tools, along with PhotoShop to create legends and sometimes hand-drawing additions and corrections to the maps. For 3D maps, I make them by hand from layers of paper, to scale. The first town I did was Arlington, MA:
      http://home.earthlink.net/~loismitchellart/indexPurchaseMaps.html
I've also done Lowell, MA and Westford, MA in 2D and plan to eventually make them in 3D and add more local towns:
      https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yptztgemghtwjm8/AACiap2k86zLO_vVk-zrLRGga?dl=0

I am very curious to hear thoughts from other people about 3D topo maps!

-- Lois, Lowell MA