Hi everyone,

The letter went out before I could inform people of this but for those of
us who work with sectoral balances the UK government's policy is even more
toxic than the letter makes out in that they are actively and consciously
pursuing an increase in household debt-to-income levels to pre-2008 levels.
Here is my email from the PKSG list outlining this.

________

Hi all,

I guess that this is probably too late but the OBR -- which is the
government's own forecasting unit -- is now using the sectoral balances
framework. They are actually explicitly assuming a serious erosion in
household balance sheet to accommodate Osbourne's plans. So, it's much
worse than this letter makes out. The government understand the
implications of what they are doing. I've spoken with the OBR and they
recognise the risks. This is recklessness bordering on lunacy.

See pages 73 and 83.

http://cdn.budgetresponsibility.independent.gov.uk/March2015EFO_18-03-webv1.pdf

Note the household deficits are being underexagerrated because of changes
in pension accounting that I think to be rather dubious. But even given
this the plans are crazy by any standard. I really think that the public
needs to be made aware of this. I am hoping to approach some people at the
BoE and maybe try to talk to the SNP or something. Any other suggestions
would be more than welcome. I've been doing a lot of work on the OBR and
the UK economy privately and the results are pretty shocking.

Best,

Phil

--
Philip Pilkington