Hi everyone,

The letter went out before I could inform people of this but for those of us who work with sectoral balances the UK government's policy is even more toxic than the letter makes out in that they are actively and consciously pursuing an increase in household debt-to-income levels to pre-2008 levels. Here is my email from the PKSG list outlining this.

________

Hi all,

I guess that this is probably too late but the OBR -- which is the government's own forecasting unit -- is now using the sectoral balances framework. They are actually explicitly assuming a serious erosion in household balance sheet to accommodate Osbourne's plans. So, it's much worse than this letter makes out. The government understand the implications of what they are doing. I've spoken with the OBR and they recognise the risks. This is recklessness bordering on lunacy.

See pages 73 and 83.

http://cdn.budgetresponsibility.independent.gov.uk/March2015EFO_18-03-webv1.pdf

Note the household deficits are being underexagerrated because of changes in pension accounting that I think to be rather dubious. But even given this the plans are crazy by any standard. I really think that the public needs to be made aware of this. I am hoping to approach some people at the BoE and maybe try to talk to the SNP or something. Any other suggestions would be more than welcome. I've been doing a lot of work on the OBR and the UK economy privately and the results are pretty shocking.

Best,

Phil