From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Deb Haines
Sent: Tuesday, 30 June 2015 1:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Large-format scanners

Britt:  I've been using the Epson since 1996 large format and used it "right side up" for 3D specimens at UT CVM.  You have to clean up backgrounds and typically I'm using plastinated specimens.  I'm not sure why anyone would scan upside down, much less use a scanner when digital cameras could capture the same thing especially if the specimen is large.   I"ve done horse and cow hoofs,  whatever I can fit on the platen has typically worked. You will get some ghosting and the only other issue is to make sure no specimen leaves residue as that will come through on other scans as artifacts.    I just have the scanner under my desk to keep out ambient light and you can take the top off for larger specimens. Again, refer to my poster from many years back at the GNSI meeting re: use of the Epson Scanner and Silverfish software.

Just some thoughts... Deb

DK Haines Illustrations & Design
4906 Skyline Drive • Knoxville, TN 37914