Gail,
Yes, I'll volunteer to work on the journal article. Off-list, perhaps you could let me know what the next couple deadlines are. (It might take me awhile).

To everyone else,
If you have an anecdote about participating in a contest, I'd love to hear it. Off-list is fine if you'd prefer. (I could refrain from using your name in the article if you request).
Also, if you know of any exploitative contests happening now, or that have happened recently, it'd be good to have a short list of examples for the article. Please let me know.

Thanks!

---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration