Thanks, Lynette; that was interesting.
I like how the author describes how her habit of providing free content to Facebook is at odds with the fact that it leads directly to her paid work – that 100% of her paid work in the last 3 yrs has come from that exposure.
"This shows the challenge of being a writer in an age when we are all content providers: the difficulty of separating one kind of free labor from another kind, of weighing one type of exposure against another, of what we are willing to offer as a gift and what we insist should be paid for, of distinguishing real writing from mere content."

I think that statement works equally well if you replace the word 'writer' with 'artist.'

---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration
Guelph, Ontario