Hello, GNSI!

*ONLY 2 MORE DAYS TO VOICE YOUR OPINION ON THE PROPOSED NEW COPYRIGHT ACT*

Artists Alert: From the Illustrators Partnership The Return of Orphan
Works: "The Next Great Copyright Act"
<http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Artists-Alert--The-Return-of-Orphan-Works-Part-1.html?soid=1102063090742&aid=3vozerBiCPE>

For more than a year Congress has been holding hearings for the drafting
of a brand new US Copyright Act. At its heart is the return of Orphan
Works. Twice, Orphan Works Acts have failed to pass Congress because of
strong opposition from visual artists, spearheaded by the Illustrators
Partnership. Because of this, the Copyright Office has now issued a
special call for letters regarding the role of visual art in the coming
legislation. Therefore we're asking all artists concerned with retaining
the rights to their work to join us in writing.

*DEADLINE: July 23, 2015*

Submit letters online to the Copyright Office.
<http://copyright.gov/policy/visualworks/comment-form/>

        Here are the Basic Facts

  * "The Next Great Copyright Act" would replace all existing copyright law.
  * It would void our Constitutional right to the exclusive control of
    our work.
  * It would "privilege" the public's right to use our work.
  * It would "pressure" you to register your work with commercial
    registries.
  * It would "orphan" unregistered work.
  * It would make orphaned work available for commercial infringement by
    "good faith" infringers.
  * It would allow others to alter your work and copyright these
    "derivative works" in their own names.
  * It would affect all visual art: drawings, paintings, sketches,
    photos, etc.; past, present and future; published and unpublished;
    domestic and foreign.

The "Next Great Copyright Act" would go further than previous Orphan
Works Acts. The proposals under consideration include:

  * The Mass Digitization of our intellectual property by corporate
    interests.
  * Extended Collective Licensing, a form of socialized licensing that
    would replace voluntary business agreements between artists and
    their clients.
  * A Copyright Small Claims Court to handle the flood of lawsuits
    expected to result from orphan works infringements.

*Please read the information in the above "Artist Alert" link, and think
about writing a letter to the Copyright Office - BY THE JULY 23
DEADLINE!! *

Regards,
Gail Guth
GNSI Outreach Director