If you need transparency over an unknown or varied background color, or you have shading or gradients, you need 24-bit PNG
If you have a known color background and flat colors for art, 8-bit PNG or GIF will work fine. You can set the "Matte" color to match the background.

You by default are working at 72dpi on the web (mac standard). So save the file at the size you want it when the resolution is 72dpi, or alternately 96dpi (PC standard).

Britt Griswold
Manager, http://www.science-art.com
bgriswold_at_science-art.com