The great irony if the author in question is a member of this listserve!

barrett klein
Department of Biology
University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
1725 State Street, La Crosse, WI
www.pupating.org

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 2:35 PM, barrett klein <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I've received very interesting and not-unexpected feedback from this listserve.  Thank you!

I crafted this email message, including mention of GNSI, and sent it to the author who invited me.  Let's see how the author responds...

Dear ____,

I've been receiving messages full of questions from the artists I recommended you contact.  Colleagues of mine are concerned and I can appreciate these concerns, so I would like to share them with you so that I might properly respond.  Artists are often asked to share their work for "exposure," and are not reimbursed for products that make others money.  For my sake and the sake of those coming to me for information, could you respond to the following?

1) Is this book for profit and who attains financial rewards from sales of the book?
2) Why is the author of the introduction not paid?
3) Why are contributing artists not paid?

My colleagues share a concern with the Guild for Natural Science Illustrators and others that artists should receive payment for their contributions, taking the form of a one-time payment, royalties from sales, and/or copies of the book.

I would like to see this book become the best it can be, but I also do not wish to undermine my colleague's profession and integrity in the process.  Please let me know your thoughts on the matter and whether or not an arrangement that respects artists' contributions can be instituted here.  Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
barrett