I received a response from the author that contains no surprises.  The book
project is an unusual one, to be sure, so I understand the author's
predicament.  I will ask specifically about copyright protection of
artists' works and, if they are protected, I will go ahead and
participate.  No work is being commissioned for the book and my
introduction may be "adapted" from a previous catalog introduction I wrote
(with appropriate permissions).  I feel more comfortable with the
arrangement and am glad that I inquired, if for no other reason than to
plant a seed.
To protect the author's identity, I am copying portions of the author's
response here:

"Yes, the book is for profit, and I expect the publisher makes some money
off it; otherwise he would not be in business. The final copy is classy -
something that you will be proud of and give to your parents and clients as
a gift...
I get a small royalty, which averages about $1 a book if it is hardcover.
Less if it is soft cover...
Your question is unique. This is the first time in all the art books I have
done that artists expect to be compensated for their work. Most of them
look at this as their chance to get free pr, to meet potential clients and
gallery owners, to share their work with the world.  Of course, they have
to show it off.  Already one gallery is interested in this undertaking...
The publisher offers a substantial  discount to participants.
I think you have to look at these coffee table books as promotional
pieces... [specifics of what came out of a previous publication].
Certainly, it would be nice to compensate those who write the
Intro/Foreword, but there is no money to do it.  Those writers get their
name on the cover, which means that every time anyone looks up [book title]
their name will pop up.
That's the deal, and there's little maneuvering room here.
Publishers/bookstores have been going out of business at a great rate. The
good old days are gone..."

barrett klein
Department of Biology
University of Wisconsin - La Crosse