I received a response from the author that contains no surprises.  The book project is an unusual one, to be sure, so I understand the author's predicament.  I will ask specifically about copyright protection of artists' works and, if they are protected, I will go ahead and participate.  No work is being commissioned for the book and my introduction may be "adapted" from a previous catalog introduction I wrote (with appropriate permissions).  I feel more comfortable with the arrangement and am glad that I inquired, if for no other reason than to plant a seed.
To protect the author's identity, I am copying portions of the author's response here:

"Yes, the book is for profit, and I expect the publisher makes some money off it; otherwise he would not be in business. The final copy is classy - something that you will be proud of and give to your parents and clients as a gift...
I get a small royalty, which averages about $1 a book if it is hardcover. Less if it is soft cover...
Your question is unique. This is the first time in all the art books I have done that artists expect to be compensated for their work. Most of them look at this as their chance to get free pr, to meet potential clients and gallery owners, to share their work with the world.  Of course, they have to show it off.  Already one gallery is interested in this undertaking... The publisher offers a substantial  discount to participants.
I think you have to look at these coffee table books as promotional pieces... [specifics of what came out of a previous publication].
Certainly, it would be nice to compensate those who write the Intro/Foreword, but there is no money to do it.  Those writers get their name on the cover, which means that every time anyone looks up [book title] their name will pop up.
That's the deal, and there's little maneuvering room here. Publishers/bookstores have been going out of business at a great rate. The good old days are gone..."

barrett klein
Department of Biology
University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
1725 State Street, La Crosse, WI