Hi Tricia,

I have done a few banners ordering from places such as Vista Print. These companies often offer templates. I never used a template however, I just created my designs based on the chosen banner size (not forgetting to include bleeds). I would recommend to do a vector format if you can get away with it. It is easy to scale up or down and edit for different promotional items; overall a good choice to promote a business. Otherwise, you can also get good print results with Photoshop. It depends on the complexity of the design you are wishing for. Finally if you are upgrading your website, you might want to wait a bit to tie it all together.
Best,

Aurore

Aurore Simonnet - Scientific Illustrator
NASA EPO - Sonoma State University
http://epo.sonoma.edu