Tricia, I frequently do this. It's a snap in PS or illustrator, no template required. printers worth their salt will be happier with illustrator in my experience, particularly since you will extend your design through several formats.

As for printers? I always always go local- prices are not far over online printers like vistaprint-having a good local printer on hand is very valuable, keeps $ in your local economy, and quality control is so much more effective in person.

Best,

Maia