From: Scarab Beetle Taxonomy Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dirk
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 7:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Native English speakers: seeking for an alternative expression as common name for chafers (Scarabaeidae: Melolonthinae)

Hi All,

in a quite prominent biological journal I used the term "chafers" ["We studied species limits in southern African chafers (Scarabaeidae: Sericini)..."], but referees asked me: "What are chafers? Do they have a common name (I know they are beetles, but many readers will not)."
So, does anyone of you have a better idea? Maybe "May beetles"?

THANKS!

Cheers
Dirk