On 7/28/15 11:04 AM, Neil Stanley Cobb wrote:

> You should know soon after Sept. 4, 2015

Obviously, a proper test box should be one like this:
http://www.gdfcf.org/sites/default/files/images/Biodiversity/Rainforest/P%20shingled%20spread%20box.jpg

No one would EVER get the prize if a box like that was the judging
criterion. To be honest, any criterion *less* stringent than that is not
a fair test, but some people use the term "digitized" to mean nothing
more than a specimen whose digital photograph has been taken and given a
number - and that's not much of a challenge. Folks have already
automated that process for slides, at least, but that's not my
definition of "digitized." If the only actual aim is to put photos
online and crowdsource the data capture, then at least we should be
honest about it: this absolutely does not reduce the time or labor
involved, it just shifts much of that time and labor to people who *we*
*don't have to pay*. Yes, that's *cheaper*, but it is very obviously not
*efficient*.

Sincerely,