Everyone,

As I mentioned the last ECN meeting, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services will soon be announcing an open position for a Ph.D. level curator at the Florida State Collection of Arthropods (FSCA). The arthropod taxonomic expertise of the candidate is open, but they will be assigned identification of the Thysanoptera and non-insect arthropods (but not Acari).  Curation will focus on those groups and the wet collections, as well as the candidate’s area of expertise.

Equally important are other collection related administrative tasks, which may include working on collections improvement grants, helping liaison with the Florida Museum of Natural History as we build a larger partnership, managing the FSCA website, curation of wet collections and bulk samples, maintaining acquisition records, processing donation paperwork, handling 3-177 declarations, maintaining our CITES registration,  etc.

I will send another note with the official announcement and links once it is open. I thought you would appreciate a little warning to alert colleagues or students who might be interested.  I spoke with a few people at the last ECN meetings regarding student they knew and can’t remember everyone, so please forward to prospective applicants to let them decide.

If interested, go to https://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/peoplefirst and create an account in the Job Seekers section. It can be set up to notify you immediately when any job is advertized that meet your criteria. My understanding is that official applications must be made through that website. Once officially posted, the position will be open for about 2 weeks, so be prepared.

If you have questions, please contact me directly. Do not reply to the list serve. THANKS,

Paul

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Paul E. Skelley, Ph.D.

Entomology Section Administrator

Florida State Collection of Arthropods

Division of Plant Industry/Entomology

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Desk (352) 395-4678

Fax (352) 395-4614

Receptionist (352) 395-4700

The Doyle Conner Building

1911 SW 34th St

Gainesville, Florida 32608 USA

or

P.O.Box 147100

Gainesville, Florida 32614-7100, USA

www.FreshFromFlorida.com

Please note that Florida has a broad public records law (Chapter 119, Florida Statutes).

Most written communications to or from state employees are public records obtainable

by the public upon request. Emails sent to me at this email address may be considered

public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to the

laws of the State of Florida.