"Because every design must satisfy competing objectives, there necessarily has to be compromise among, if not the complete exclusion of, some of those objectives, in order to meet what are considered the more important of them." -Henry Petroski

Info in a database and high resolution photos of entire drawers are two different things that happen to overlap in information content.

The photos let you get a sense of what's going on in just a few seconds. I've even searched for specific taxa within drawers of un-IDed specimens using whole drawer photos online. You can't do that in a database.

On the other hand, the notion that all the data on a label can be captured for a majority of specimens in a drawer is wishful thinking.

Mike