To me, this seems like just another level of curatorial time wasting that adds little or nothing to the value of the collection.  As soon as you add material to the drawer or rearrange units, the photo is out-of-date, and becomes a source of confusion.  The only way to avoid this is to  continuously update the photos every time something is moved or added.  If there is a specific reason to take pics of drawers, specimens, or whatever, then by all means do it, but I would imagine that most collection managers have plenty of other specimen-related tasks to manage besides dealing with a metacollection of pictures of a collection.

And why put BARCODES on drawers?  Then only somebody with a barcode reader can identify them.  How about numbers or labels that are legible to the people who will be moving and rehousing the drawers?  When we moved the Oregon State collection a while back, we put stickers on the drawers with cabinet number and drawer number.  Once they were moved, we took them off.

cheers,

Andy Brower

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Mike Ferro [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 1:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: whole drawer digitization question

"Because every design must satisfy competing objectives, there necessarily has to be compromise among, if not the complete exclusion of, some of those objectives, in order to meet what are considered the more important of them." -Henry Petroski

Info in a database and high resolution photos of entire drawers are two different things that happen to overlap in information content.

The photos let you get a sense of what's going on in just a few seconds. I've even searched for specific taxa within drawers of un-IDed specimens using whole drawer photos online. You can't do that in a database.

On the other hand, the notion that all the data on a label can be captured for a majority of specimens in a drawer is wishful thinking.

Mike