Such beautiful ceramic work!And really funny story, although that's a problem too, right? So many people think we don't work- we're doing something fun and easy!
How many clients wait until the last minute to even think about the illustrations, figuring that we can just do them quickly?
I finished the world map painted on the 4x3-foot piece of metal last month (thanks for the help, Listserv!).When I finished transferring the outlines onto the metal, I let my friend (the client) know that it took 3-1/2 hours.She said, "Oh wow. Well, the rest should go quickly- I know from painting rooms that the prep work takes the most time."I wasn't going in with a roller next, though- about 20 hours later I was done. Not including many hours of research. Yikes!It was actually a lot of fun, but also a lot of work.
Keep up the good work, everybody!marni

Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 14:13:40 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SCIART] artist stereotype
To: [log in to unmask]

As an artist and teacher I have heard many of these comments and had these discussions with other artists and teachers. I am glad some people actually understand a little more about artists by the time we finish.  My favorite story came from my cousin who is a very accomplished potter and does a number of Midwest art fairs each summer. She heard one woman say to another at the end of a row of booths, “When do they have time to make all this stuff?” The other woman answered, ”They don’t work!” She does very organic forms both functional and not. Here is a link to her site. Dianehttp://robertapolfusceramics.com/