Linda,

Backup is what you set it to be. You can backup everything or one specific folder. By default and when I logged on, my user directory was what was set to be backed up. I easily changed this to target a particular folder.

The one thing I am unsure of is whether, if you back up the entire internal hard drive, if it is a “bootable” version. I would assume not. I’m looking for an off-site method of backing up the scans of my artwork. I backup locally, but if there were a theft or fire or flood…I’d be in a pickle.

My backup setup is this:

I backup my internal hard drive to my Time Capsule via Time Machine. Have only to had to use it once or twice to retrieve an accidentally deleted file.

Most of my files, if not being actively worked on, are stored on two external drives that I’ve configured as a RAID. Each drive is 4 terabytes, and the 2nd drive is set up as a mirror. So if I copy a file to the RAID, it automatically creates a duplicate mirror of that file.

So I am looking to add off-site backup particularly of my art and teaching files. Financial information I tend to store at home and at home only, due to concerns about hacking and privacy and such.