A GNSI member has posed an interesting question in the Business section of the GNSI Forums. I would be curious to know what sort of experience other list members have had with procuring permission to use images as reference:

______

I'm looking for references online for some pretty specific subjects, and the only images I can find are clearly images owned/under copyrights. A couple were produced by photojournalists, from what I can tell. Like us, they probably (rightly) anticipate being compensated for use of their images. :)

So, my questions are:

Are there norms for purchasing reference images (not from stock agencies)"?
Has anyone had any experience purchasing rights to a reference image?
If so, how have you handled approaching the photographer? Is there a standard licensing fee I could propose?
Anything I'm forgetting to ask?

Thanks in advance!
Bethann

_____