That's about what I thought and what I've done as well.

Liz

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 12:02 PM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
In many instances, you are right, one is looking through many images to learn. Depending on the rarity of the species, or the pose/behavior, it might be more obviously derivative.

I've asked insect photographers for permission when I have no other choice of reference. I either liked the pose, or it's hard to make up without specific information, such as insects in flight. I tell them that I am re-drawing the pose, and would like to use their photo as reference. Most often they say fine, appreciate me asking, and say no charge, but would like to see the finished product.

There are professional photographers that I always offer a fee, because I feel I should support their hard work. I could never, ever sit in blind for 5 hours in the hot sun, waiting for the perfect photo...

Bethann's inquiry mentioned "specific subjects" so it may be that it is only too obvious where the references originate.

Cheers,
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325