I have an older Intuos 3 with buttons, and I just want to chime in that the buttons are sometimes quite convenient. I never put much time into customizing what they do, but I’ve got one shaped like a strip that I can easily zoom in and out with my left hand while still holding the stylus in my right hand.

Before I figured out that I could have buttons to control zoom, it always pulled me out of my concentration if I had to break off what I was doing and find my keyboard and the corresponding keys, or go through the controls with the stylus like you would a mouse.
It looks like the new Intuos Pro tablets have multi-touch though, which seems like it could be even more intuitive with how often capacitive touch screens are used on laptops and phones and such.

I really want a Wacom Cintiq, personally. They seem super nice but they are also quite pricey.
I advise going bigger for tablets in general - if you’re planning on bringing it on the road with you then stop at your laptop size so that both will fit in your bag easier.

Cheers,
Angelica