It is a issue for sure.  On the one hand you don't want to discourage an organization's appreciation
of the art (which they are showing by starting a project like this). And as long as everyone is
clear that you are essentially doing volunteer/charity work for that organization, it is hard to
argue with their selection of that process. But how much energy and time should the GNSI put toward
spreading this word is the issue.  The GNSI itself is a volunteer/charity organization. Is part of
our mission to let members know about other volunteer/charity opportunities where they can use their
skills?

On the one hand I agree with the position that these sorts of project are not helping artists make a
living, and the GNSI is partly about helping people and organizations understand what it takes to
make science art.  On the other hand if we just ignore these types of projects and people, no
education takes place. Plus it it is a free world, so if someone goes in with their eyes open and
educated, they can make their own choices.

I would not mind seeing the GNSI hosting a page that lays out the case for compensation as the norm
in artist/organization/project relationships. As well as what you are really doing when giving it
away for free.

Make sure you can square that with helping the GNSI (also a non-profit that really has little
budget...and lots of people volunteering their talents).  At least we don't try to claim all rights
to people's art (sheesh!)

Britt