Dear Entomo-Listers

When authors send me papers for publication, I try to remember to remind them to ask permission to reproduce images from the owner of the copyright. Whether non-human or human entities, an email is generally all it takes to say "yes". Yet, sometimes money needs to be transacted or the reply is "no" or no reply at all is available.

My question is, if one cannot get permission, how different does the new image have to be to be considered as "different" from the previously published one and be free from the concerns of copyright violations.

Your anecdotes (whether personal or from someone else) as well as constructive suggestions,will be welcomed. Please send them directly to me at:

Apologies for potential duplicate emails.

Sincerely,

Jorge

Jorge A. Santiago-Blay, PhD

1. Positive experiences for authors of papers published in LEB http://blaypublishers.com/testimonials/