Yes, the assumption that we will transfer all rights - for the benefit of a 'free' scan and 'promotion', is disingenuous. And, IMO, shouldn't be encouraged.

I get that science funding is down (in the US - not sure about worldwide) to about 4% of previous NSA levels. (I heard that somewhere - probably varies a lot by project). I've had to make some hard choices about donating my time to organizations I'd otherwise love to support with my dollars, but I've always retained copyright for my illustrations so I can reuse them for (some) profit.   This move of 'crowdsourcing' everything becomes a slippery slope that will result in everyone but the 'information managers' being financially uncompensated for their time.

My two cents,

Kathy G