Hi Mike,

as you probably know by now, “Beitr. Ent.” is the official abbreviation for Beiträge zur Entomologie published since 1951 by the Deutsches Entomologisches Institut. It is now called Senckenberg Deutsches Entomologisches Institut (http://www.senckenberg.de/root/index.php?page_id=5879) and the journal title has been anglicized to Contributions to Entomology (http://www.senckenberg.de/root/index.php?page_id=13069).

Unfortunately, as far as I know, it has not been digitized to back issues, but should be readily available in entomological libraries.

Torsten

Many thanks to those that helped. I got the name and date range: Alfredo Faz (1863-1931)

A google search using "Alfredo Faz (1863-1931)" gave me Dictionary of Entomology, page 559 as the first result. The entry is: FAZ, ALFREDO (1863–1931) (Rohlfien 1975, Beitr. Ent. 25: 267.)

I assumed that "Rohlfien 1975, Beitr. Ent. 25: 267." was a citation for an obituary [turns out it's not], and I wanted to read it.

A google search for that string didn't yield any useful results. A google search "Beitr. Ent." also didn't give me any clue concerning the full journal title. So then I went on an adventure.

I did a google search for: "journal abbreviations" and got the following links in order:

1. Journal Title Abbreviations | Caltech Library – NO

2. Journal Title Abbreviations - Web of Science Help – NO

3. Science and Engineering Journal Abbreviations ... – NO

4. Journal Title Abbreviations – NO

5. NLM Catalog: Journals referenced in the NCBI Databases – NO

6. Journal Abbreviation Resources on the Web – NO

7. CASSI Search Tool Usage Agreement – NO

8. Find journal abbreviations | Stanford University Libraries

Followed Link to : All That JAS: Journal Abbreviation Sources

I followed each link and searched for "Beitr. Ent." and received "No items found." for my trouble. Finally, #8 Stanford, had a link to "All that JAS" which did have a full journal title!

Beitr. Ent. = Beiträge zur Entomologie

Once I had the journal un-abbreviated (which took a good ten minutes) I found the publication in pdf format in about 2 minutes, despite the fact that that sub-adventure was all in German.

http://www.senckenberg.de/files/content/sammlungen/muencheberg/kust_diptera/sdei_rohlfien_1975_historie_sdei_diptera_i.pdf

Why do we still abbreviate journal titles?

Cheers,

Mike