Hi Mike,

Fortunately, few experienced current authors abbreviate journal titles,
unless forced to by editors.

One of the fastest ways to decipher such abbreviations is by wildcard
searches in WorldCat:
http://www.worldcat.org/advancedsearch

Searching for title = Beitr? Ent? and format = journal, the full title
turns up three times among the first 10 finds.  And then you can find out
immediately what libraries have the journal, or (often) if it is available
electronically too.

Al.

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 9:38 PM, Mike Ferro <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> ​​
>
> Many thanks to those that helped. I got the name and date range: Alfredo
> Faz (1863-1931)
>

> A google search using "Alfredo Faz (1863-1931)" gave me Dictionary of
> Entomology, page 559 as the first result. The entry is: FAZ, ALFREDO
> (1863–1931) (Rohlfien 1975, Beitr. Ent. 25: 267.)
>

> I assumed that "Rohlfien 1975, Beitr. Ent. 25: 267." was a citation for an
> obituary [turns out it's not], and I wanted to read it.
>

> A google search for that string didn't yield any useful results. A google
> search "Beitr. Ent." also didn't give me any clue concerning the full
> journal title. So then I went on an adventure.
>

> I did a google search for: "journal abbreviations" and got the following
> links in order:
>

> 1. Journal Title Abbreviations | Caltech Library
> <https://library.caltech.edu/reference/abbreviations/> – NO 2. Journal
> Title Abbreviations - Web of Science Help
> <https://images.webofknowledge.com/WOK46/help/WOS/A_abrvjt.html> – NO 3. Science
> and Engineering Journal Abbreviations ...
> <http://woodward.library.ubc.ca/research-help/journal-abbreviations/> – NO 4.
> Journal Title Abbreviations <http://www.efm.leeds.ac.uk/~mark/ISIabbr/> –
> NO 5. NLM Catalog: Journals referenced in the NCBI Databases
> <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nlmcatalog/journals> – NO 6. Journal
> Abbreviation Resources on the Web
> <http://www.library.illinois.edu/biotech/j-abbrev.html> – NO 7. CASSI
> Search Tool Usage Agreement <http://cassi.cas.org/> – NO 8. Find journal
> abbreviations | Stanford University Libraries
> <http://library.stanford.edu/guides/find-journal-abbreviations> Followed
> Link to : All That JAS: Journal Abbreviation Sources
> <http://www.abbreviations.com/jas.php>   I followed each link and
> searched for "Beitr. Ent." and received "No items found." for my trouble.
> Finally, #8 Stanford, had a link to "All that JAS" which did have a full
> journal title!
>
> Beitr. Ent. = Beiträge zur Entomologie
>   Once I had the journal un-abbreviated (which took a good ten minutes) I
> found the publication in pdf format in about 2 minutes, despite the fact
> that that sub-adventure was all in German.
> http://www.senckenberg.de/files/content/sammlungen/muencheberg/kust_diptera/sdei_rohlfien_1975_historie_sdei_diptera_i.pdf
>   Why do we still abbreviate journal titles?   Cheers,   Mike
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 9:57 PM, Mike Ferro <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> Many thanks. I was googling "Singer Aschaffenburg" and coming up with
>> tantalizing but ambiguous stuff. I'll move on Alfredo Faz, thanks!
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 9:33 PM, Neal Evenhuis <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> The collector is Alfredo Faz (1863-1931)
>>>
>>> Looking online he collected in a number of places in Chile so the "C.
>>> Chile" could have been anywhere in central chile.

> [...]

Alfred F. Newton
Curator Emeritus
Zoology Department/Insect Division
Field Museum of Natural History
1400 South Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605 USA
Telephone (direct):  312-665-7738; Fax (Zoology):  312-665-7754
FMNH personal web page:  <http://fieldmuseum.org/users/alfred-newton>
Austral Staphyliniformia databases: <
<http://www.fieldmuseum.org/peet_staph/>
http://archive.fieldmuseum.org/peet_staph/>