If you do a save as PDF, the default is to have a copy of the Illustrator editable material
included, unless you uncheck the box in the options dialog.  So if you did not turn it off, you can
recover your Illustrator material from the PDF.

The only other way I know to avoid it is the Save a Copy command. If you were doing Photoshop, this
happens by default when you save in a different format, but for some reason they are not consistent
in interface design across the programs....

Britt