The saved file changes go to the file, but the open file is still the full Illustrator file, even
though the extension has changed to PDF.  If you hit "save" again your file changes are saved into
the dumbed-down PDF, and edit-ability would be lost. It seems a bit dumb when you think about it.
But it only bits me in the behind ever couple months. Normally I can keep it straight....

Britt