Date:    Tue, 3 Nov 2015 05:23:58 -0500
From:    "Dr.habil.  Klaus Hentschel" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Digital humanities projects - a free international online "database of scientific illustrators 1450-1950" (DSI)

 Dear Dr. Frampton, dear Dr. Belknap.
many thanks for your interesting email with links to these three projects. I have had a look at the webpages of Science gossip. What I miss there is a way to search for names of the scientific illustrators identified through your marvellous crowd sourcing.
You seem not to be aware that there is a free online international database of scientific illustrators, already containing more than 10.000 entries of illustrators in natural history and the sciences active
between 1450 and 1950. We have entries from illustrators from more than 100 countries, including nearly 1/3 of them from Great Britain plus more than a hundred from British-goverened India
 A lot of them might also crop up in your rapidly growing database, and it would be perhaps a good idea to avoid that your volunteers start from scrap if they would get a lot more information
available in our database. You can activate global searches in all 20 search fields of DSI, and also search for name variants, monograms and abbreviations. Individual entries to illustrators found in our database
can be linked with a stable url.  Perhaps we can continue to discuss a possible systematic mutual linking off list, but the information on the Stuttgart "Database of Scientific Illustraotrs 1450-1950" (DSI)
might be of interest to all recipients of MERSENNE since it is illustrator-centered and thus complementary to your object- and classification-centered science gossip database. If you are interested, please check out
www.uni-stuttgart.de/hi/gnt/dsi
our growing list of published sources already consulted, and - most importantly - the 20 field search subpag where you can also search for countries of activity, techniques, client names, patrons etc. pp.
A brief description on how to use the database (even though the absolute numbers mentioned in there have more than tripled in the meantime) can be found at
http://spontaneousgenerations.library.utoronto.ca/index.php/SpontaneousGenerations/article/view/17156
With kind regards from Stuttgart
Klaus Hentschel
www.uni-stuttgart.de/hi/gnt/hentschel  and https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Klaus_Hentschel