I've also had a stipulation in my contract that says if they are responsible for selecting, obtaining or purchasing photos for reference or modification, that they must be responsible for securing all permissions, copyrights or licenses.  It may give a level of legal security, but that doesn't mean they won't try to go through the artist first.

If I saw my photographs modified, probably one of the first things that would surface would be the graphic designer's name and the company. Those would be the first ones I'd send a letter to if I had a grievance.

Like Jeremy said, there are ways to do your own research, but the responsibility should be placed firmly in the laps of the person purchasing the item. You can include that in your Letter of Agreement which will define that task. No one can then say, "Oh, I thought it was the other person's responsibility".

I will echo Ikumi's comment in the "Contracts" talk at the last conference. Communication with your client is the most important thing. Talk about it, bring it up, nothing can replace direct communication about a potential problem.

Good Luck,
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325