Breck is a friend of mine and every bit as wonderful as Cecelia describes.
In addition to teaching courses on marine mammals and birds, Breck was for
many years the leader of the renowned "Natural History Field Quarter"
(NHFQ), a three-part intensive course that in and of itself draws students
to the Santa Cruz campus.

The current leader of the NHFQ is Chris Lay. He has maintained the long
tradition of using sketching as part of the field-study method of the
course (-- I teach drawing workshops to his field students every year).
Chris has a ton of 'local-specific knowledge'; he also spearheaded the
creation of a new natural history center on the UCSC campus this past year.
Contact me off-list if you want to be put in touch with him (he probably
won't answer a seemingly random email).

Jenny

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Cecelia Azhderian <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Taina- I took an excellent summer school class at UCSC 10+ years ago about
> Marine mammals and birds from Breck Tyler. He was a great lecturer and part
> of our weekly work was to observe birds in the wild and take field notes...
> Of course, I added in lots of sketches which he made special note of... And
> enjoyed. He might be one to contact because he clearly recognized art and
> observation as being just as importance as the writing entries.
> https://campusdirectory.ucsc.edu/cd_detail?uid=ospr
> I'm looking forward to the conference being so close next year.
> Cheers!
> Cecelia
>
> *Cecelia Azhderian*
> *CFA Illustration*
> *www.cfaillustration.com <http://www.cfaillustration.com/>*
> *[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>*
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 6:49 AM, Taina Litwak <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all -  Did any of you take Biology courses while at University there?
>> Can you recommend any specific lecturers - any specialty - who were
>> particularly excited about their subject and dynamic?  Anyone who
>> used/integrated lab drawing in their courses?   From the school website, it
>> seems to be a huge faculty.  I want to secure some local subject matter
>> experts for our 2016 annual meeting program.  Just give me names - we will
>> do the recruiting.  Please respond!
>>
>> Taina Litwak
>> GNSI 2016 Annual Meeting Program Co-chair
>>
>> Litwak Illustration Studio
>> 13029 Chestnut Oak Drive
>> Darnestown, MD 20878
>>
>> office 202-633-4561
>> home: 301-527-0569
>> mobile: 240-750-9245

>> instructions at

> instructions at

Jenny Keller
CSU Monterey Bay • 100 Campus Center • Seaside, CA 93955-8001
(831) 582-3480 • (831) 582-4502 fax • scienceillustration.org