De: "Carol Scotton" <[log in to unmask]>
Enviada: 2015/12/07 21:56:06
Para: [log in to unmask]
Assunto: Re: Query on private interests among government mainstream economists

Hello,
There's another, much older, example of economists with conflicts of interest influencing policy and opinion.  This is the case of removing land as a factor of production. John Bates Clark and Richard T Ely (among others) used their academic positions to bolster opposition to land taxation (as proposed by Henry George 1839-1897).  Mason Gaffney, in The Corruption of Economics (1994), examines the role of these men and others in quashing the idea of taxing away the unearned rents of landholders.  It is worth looking into.  A paper by Brian Czech, "The neoclassical production function as a relic of anti-George politics: Implications for ecological economics" (Ecological Economics 68 (2009) 2193-2197) provides a short summary.
Good luck.
regards/crs