Linda,

assuming you use good internet hygiene, you can go a long way with older Mac OS, but they will stop
supporting security updates, usually about 2 yeas, maybe 3 years out. So then you are taking your
chances.  I can still run most of my older Intel-based programs on OS 10.9.5.However I still have a
PPC tower at home running 10.7. There is a modern browser called tenforfox (tenforfox.com) that is
secure for older systems. It is a version of Firefox.  the browser is where a lot of vulnerability
exists.

It is worse on a PC. But the idea of getting a real cheap PC to run one program is not a bad one.

Britt