Assuming you are going to have the same amount of storage space either concentrated or distributed,
I would put money on the Centralized storage producing less CO2.  Efficiencies of scale would reduce
  most of the costs and materials and energy used.  Plus it only takes one person to decide they
will buy their power from wind or solar generation (if they decide to do that...)

At worst I think the result would be neutral on the power consumption. But the measurement of
existing A/C in the distributed environment vs. New A/C in the concentrated environment is probably
important to getting a real answer. Would other positive factors in the centralized life cycle
counteract or even exceed the new A/C capacity brought on line? And would the addition of small
numbers of drive in a distributed environment have any effect on that A/C?

Britt