From: Natalya Zahn
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2015 5:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SCIART] Patterns and Printing on Fabric

Hello all,

With the holidays approaching (too fast!) I wanted to share some neat new
product that I've just added to my online shop (both because some of you
might be interested in the products, but also because the method that I used
to make them is something others might like the try themselves).

I had a solo show this past summer, for which I developed a small collection
of textile patterns - the show pieces were all large scale wall-hanging
banners, but it occurred to me that I should also experiment with sewing up
some retail-worthy accessories, and now is the perfect time to release them.

The summer show was titled "Birds, Bees, & Tulip Trees" and all the work was
inspired by flowering plants and pollinators - some relationships were very
specific (like Monarch butterflies and Milkweed) others more general (like
Tulip Trees and the host of insect species that visit them). I started with
original watercolor paintings and then assembled them into repeating
collages in Photoshop. The designs were then uploaded to a fabric (and
wallpaper, and wrapping paper) print-on-demand company called Spoonflower -
and in a matter of weeks I had beautiful original fabric to work with!

You can see the pattern designs, and photos from their exhibition this
summer (which was held in a large modern conservatory building of a
botanical garden!) on my website:
http://www.natalya.com/Birds-Bees-Tulip-Trees-Exhibit

And if anyone is interested in a pollinator themed gift - the canvas pouches
I had made are really fun  - I've been using one to carry my travel drawing
accessories and it's the perfect vessel:
http://shop.studioanimaux.com

For those who'd like to give Spoonflower a tour - here's a link to my
profile on the site (all patterns live in a marketplace - if you want them
to - that anyone can purchase yardage from - individual  artist's get a
percentage of sales):
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/natalyazahn

I know my work leans toward the less precise and more decorative compared to
many of the more serious science illustrators in the group, but we're all
driven by the same passion for the natural world, and I hope you enjoy the
images all the same!

Best to everyone during what can be a stressful but also joyful last month
of the year!

-Natalya

Natalya Zahn
www.natalya.com